You’re aware of the cost but want to look further into study – let’s lay out the major pros and cons of photography school.
- Better understanding of the art, its history and its development.
- Refine your natural skills and learn from people who have succeeded in the business.
- Gain a thorough understanding of lighting and composition techniques.
- Make connections throughout your degree that could help in your professional life.
- Tuition expense is high and average yearly salaries are low, meaning it could take you decades to pay back your debt
- Equipment is also super pricey, making it hard to balance the cost of lenses, cameras and accessories with the price of study.
- Employment isn’t guaranteed, especially as art and photography degrees are limiting.
- Possibility of having to go back to school to pursue more education if your photography career doesn’t flourish.
Which side carries more weight for you?